naval offensive of the Operation Overlord is known as Operation Neptune.
The operation of assembling the artificial harbour is called Mulberry.
artificial harbour was assembled with tugs from 150 concrete blocks
called "Phoenix". The dimensions of the blocks were 60 (L) x
18 (H) x 18 (B) meters.
|Normandie memoire Espace Historique:
Merchant Marine in WW2: the towage operations at Normandy:
painting by Dwight C. Shepler showing ST-class tugs positioning a
DR-18 (1946 - 1951)
|After WW II 24 tugs
were acquired by Finnish Ministry of Supply (Kansanhuoltoministeriö)
from war surplus in
1946 to be used in fulfilling the orders of Truce of Moscow on September
19, 1944 concerning mine clearing in the Baltic Sea. ST-335 was renamed
DR-18 (from Finnish term for diesel-operated minesweeper
M/s Alpo (1952 -)
|The ship was
rebuilt by F.W. Hollming dockyard at Rauma. The foredeck was raised and
the ice bow installed to make it suitable to work as harbour icebreaker.
The ship worked in Oulu as harbour tug and icebreaker from 1952 until
1990. The name "M/s Alpo" comes from the name of Alpo Autio,
the deputy mayor of the city of Oulu.
|M/s Alpo at
Toppila harbour (picture from Uuno Laukka’s Collection):
Alpo" (Tug Alpo) painted by Eeli Aalto:
kahdelle hinaajalle" (An Elegy for two tugs) painted by Eeli Aalto:
ja hinaaja" (Boy and Tug) painted by Eeli Aalto:
|"Hylätty satama" (The Deserted Harbour) painted by Eeli Aalto:||http://www.oulu.ouka.fi/100kuvaa/100kuvaa/fin/12/093.htm|
Finnish text and translation and links by Juha Kämäräinen 2003
|© Copyright Timo Iik 2011||http://www.toppilanpukseeri.fi||28.11.2011 14:32:09 +0200|